Saturday, September 22, 2007

First Answers

Well, I posed these questions below, so it's only fair I pose some possible answers too. These are my first impressions:

  1. Is language death a separate phenomenon from language change?
In terms of linguistic effect, I suspect not
  1. Are there any favorable outcomes of language death?
I suspect, yes
  1. How do current rates of language death compare with historical rates?
Nearly impossible to tell
  1. What is the role of linguists wrt language death?
One might ask: what is the role of mechanics wrt global warming?

UPDATE: post with original questions here. Additional response to David Crystal here.

No comments:

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...