Friday, October 19, 2007

"X Experiments"

In an earlier post, I used the term “kitchen experiment” to refer to a brief, rather unscientific attempt at empirical data gathering, the sort of thing one might do in the morning, in the kitchen, while drinking a cup of coffee. At the time, I thought I had picked up the term from the Language Log folks, but I was unable to find the term using their search engine.

Alas! The mystery was solved this morning when I discovered I had mis-remembered the term. Mark Liberman uses the term Breakfast Experiment™ in his latest post. It's not clear to me if he has seriously trademarked the term or not, but to be safe, I'll keep using my "kitchen experiments" variant.

No comments:

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...