Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"garfield minus garfield"

I never liked the comic Garfield. But under this guy's interpretation here, I find it brilliant! I haven't laughed out loud to a comic in years. These versions swing from hilarious, to sad and poignant, then back to hilarious.

Who would have guessed that when you remove Garfield from the Garfield comic strips, the result is an even better comic about schizophrenia, bipolor disorder, and the empty desperation of modern life?

Friends, meet Jon Arbuckle. Let’s laugh and learn with him on a journey deep into the tortured mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against lonliness and methamphetamine addiction in a quiet American suburb.

(HT Andrew Sullivan)

3 comments:

Jason M. Adams said...

I stumbled on some of those cartoons a while back (though not that exact site). Personally, I despise Garfield as being second only to Family Circus in absolute awfulness, but minus Garfield, it is truly awesome.

Anonymous said...

I just caught the link to it on penny arcade this morning. It blew me away.

Chris said...

Merde! Someday I'll scoop penny arcade ... sigh ... someday ...

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...