Wednesday, May 26, 2010

yeah right ctd.

Thanks to Twitter #linguistics, I discovered that Hebrew University grad student Oren Tsur will be in DC next week presenting a paper on automatic detection of sarcasm in product reviews (see here and here for reactions). I've posted on sarcasm before (see here and here) so I'm curious. The conference is the 4th Int'l AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media at GW and it looks rather interesting (the first interesting thing to happen in Foggy Bottom since Watergate?). I might could take some PTO and check it out.

Tsur's work can be found here: A Great Catchy Name: Semi-Supervised Recognition of Sarcastic Sentences in Online Product Reviews (pdf).

FYI: while Tsur's work relies solely on written words, Joseph Tepperman et al. from USC work on sarcasm in voice recognition: “YEAH RIGHT”: SARCASM RECOGNITION FOR SPOKEN DIALOGUE SYSTEMS (pdf).

No comments:

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...